I’ve been looking for a desk chair for a small desk upstairs. The desk currently has a padded wheeled chair but honestly it is not very comfortable. Also, If you know me, I am a bit of a chair snob. Well not really a snob, but I do have preferences and it is hard for me to get past them. The number one thing I like in a desk chair is a nice firm back.
I guess I like firmness in other chairs as well. When we were looking for a dining room set, we would find nice tables but when I’d test out the chairs I’d turn the set down. It took a while till we found a set that both looked good and had chairs I approved of.
While we are on the topic of chairs, let me note here, that the best chairs I’ve ever seen (well sat in) were designed by none other than Frank Lloyd Wright. These chairs are located in the Johnson Wax Administrative building and they are just perfect! I wish I could get a replica! (they were manufactured by steelcase in 1937)
Well, this chair that I found at Good Will for $8 was no Frank Lloyed Writght chair, but it was in good shape and had some style to it. Let’s face it, it was the way it felt while I was sitting on it that sold me on it. Fit me well and had a nice straight and firm back.
The frame is metal and the seat back and bottom are probably some layered wood grained laminate that are both curved to fit the body. I am assuming this chair was build in the late 60’s or 70’s and spent some time in a school classroom.
The metal part of the chair was a nice industrial brown/gray (sarcasm) but as you can see from the picture, it had some nice triangle shaped supports. The feet were a little rusty and the legs had some surface rust on them as well.
I sanded off the surface rust, feet and roughed up the rest of the paint.
Next there was paint to select. Looking at both Lowe’s and Home Depot. There are lots of selections for colors! With some help, I selected a Scarlet Red color and some primer.
Next, I taped up the chair to protect the “wood” and primed the chair. I left it dry over night.
Painting the primer made a good base for the red paint and all was going well till I rushed on the very last section of the chair.
There is was, the dreaded DRIP or scarlet red. It looked like some dripping blood and felt even more painful. I had to let the scarlet red dry, sand down the drip and repaint. I let it dry in the sun and removed the tape and covering. I had two little spots that must have been covered by the tape. I sprayed some paint into a plastic cup and fixed the spots with a small paint brush. The result was an update school chair that has just a little pizzazz for the room upstairs. The chair is ready now for another 20 or 30 years of school work.
Update to this blog entry … I found a cool trashcan and painted it to match the chair.